Struggling to maintain something down — or in? In the event you’ve been hit by the abdomen flu — in any other case referred to as viral gastroenteritis (and a completely totally different beast from the frequent flu, or influenza) — you in all probability gained’t really feel like consuming or ingesting a lot.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit tutorial medical heart. Promoting on our website helps help our mission. We don’t endorse non-Cleveland Clinic services or products. Policy
However in case you’re seeking to discover out what you possibly can attempt to abdomen with a abdomen flu, you actually realize it’s not the very best thought to toss again a plate of chili-cheese nachos.
For some clearer path household doctor Laura Lipold, MD, kinds out just a few much less apparent do’s and don’ts to get you thru till you’re again in your toes once more.
Keep away from these when you could have the flu
- Skip your every day espresso: Keep away from your cup of joe and favourite caffeinated soda (this contains cola drinks) for a one week. Caffeine contracts your intestines, which might make diarrhea worse, Dr. Lipold notes.
- Keep away from alcohol altogether: Alcoholic drinks act as a diuretic and might worsen your abdomen much more.
- Don’t eat hard-to-digest meals: When you could have the abdomen flu avoid fatty, greasy, spicy and acidic meals. Dairy and tomato-based dishes are additionally powerful on a sick intestine.
- By no means power your self to eat: In the event you don’t really feel like consuming, don’t push your body. “Attempt to concentrate on recovering, relaxation and staying hydrated,” Dr. Lipold says.
- Keep away from juices: Apple, orange, or some other juices gained’t do you a lot good.
Eat, drink and do these with the flu
Drink loads of clear liquids
Wait till 2 hours have handed since your final episode of vomiting. Begin with small frequent sips. Water, clear soda (stir it properly to launch extra carbonation), natural decaffeinated tea, broth or over-the-counter electrolyte replacements are nice methods to keep away from dehydration when you could have a abdomen flu with frequent diarrhea or vomiting.
“Extreme dehydration might imply a visit to the hospital to obtain IV fluids, so it’s essential to attempt to keep hydrated in case you can,” Dr. Lipold says. “It’s possible you’ll flip to the frequent ginger ale repair however once more, stir or let it sit on the counter in an open container till the carbonation evaporates.”
Eat complicated carbohydrates
Potatoes and complete grains (suppose rice and toast) are your finest decisions to assist substitute vitamins you’ll have misplaced whereas vomiting or too many journeys to the lavatory. Attempt lean meats with out an excessive amount of spice or condiments, which might upset your abdomen extra (suppose hen and fish).
Suck on ice chips
In the event you can’t hold the rest down, ice chips will assist provide the hydration you probably want little by little over an extended time, however it could be higher tolerated by your abdomen, Dr. Lipold says.
See your doctor
“In the event you haven’t been capable of hold liquids down for 24 hours, present indicators of dehydration, are vomiting blood, have stomach ache, bloody diarrhea or a fever above 102 F — it’s time to go to your physician,” Dr. Lipold says.
“You’ll have one other sickness which can must be handled immediately,” she provides. “And since some signs like diarrhea might probably be an indication of COVID-19, it’s essential to speak to your healthcare supplier.”