This Mexican-inspired hen and corn pot pie is consolation meals that’s additionally heart-healthy.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit tutorial medical heart. Promoting on our web site helps help our mission. We don’t endorse non-Cleveland Clinic services or products. Policy
Olive oil cooking spray
5 ¼ cups fat-free, reduced-sodium hen broth
2 ¼ cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon floor cumin
½ teaspoon kosher salt, elective
¼ teaspoon cayenne
Olive oil cooking spray
1 ½ pound boneless, skinless hen breasts, trimmed of all fats and reduce into 1-inch cubes
1 cup contemporary or thawed frozen corn kernels
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
2 medium tomatillos, husked and chopped
2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 1 tablespoon sauce
2 tablespoons golden raisins, plumped in 2 tablespoons dry white wine or water
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon floor cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 levels F.
- Coat a 10-inch spherical casserole that’s at the least 2 inches deep with cooking spray.
- To make the crust, carry the broth to a boil in a big saucepan over medium-high warmth.
- Regularly stir within the cornmeal, cumin, salt (if utilizing), and cayenne.
- Cut back the warmth to medium and cook dinner, stirring consistently, till thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Instantly unfold the combination to a depth of about ½ inch over the underside and sides of the ready casserole. Press firmly with the again of a spoon. Put aside.
- To make the filling, frivolously coat a big nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place over medium-high warmth.
- Add the hen and sauté till brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the corn, onion, garlic, tomato, tomatillos, chipotles and their sauce, raisins with their liquid, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cheese. Stir till effectively blended.
- Spoon the combination into the ready casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes, till the perimeters of the crust are golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Take away from the oven and let stand on wire rack for 10 minutes earlier than chopping into wedges to serve.
Saturated fats 1.5g
Dietary fiber 4g
Supply: Cleveland Clinic Wholesome Coronary heart Life-style Information and Cookbook (© 2007 Broadway Books)